At Cotherstone Primary School we will provide high quality teaching and learning that challenges pupils to raise their expectations and standards. We will do this in a safe environment through a creative, experimental and experiential curriculum for the development of the whole child in a secure, happy and nurturing school community.
Statement of Aims
Governors and staff of Cotherstone Primary School see their broad aims as:
- providing children with the knowledge, skills and understanding to prepare them for adult life, and to be active participants in society;
- providing an education which is suited to each pupil’s age and ability so that the full potential of each child is realised;
- encouraging each child to become confident, competent and self-reliant;
- offering a broad curriculum, based within the guidelines of the National Curriculum, with equal opportunities for boys and girls;
- establishing a secure, orderly, happy and stimulating environment for all children in order to create the conditions to develop within children a positive self-concept and a feeling of ‘belonging’;
- developing lively and enquiring minds, and providing opportunities to gain enjoyment and satisfaction from doing tasks well, for which praise and encouragement will be given;
- helping our children towards an understanding of the world in which we live, a respect for themselves and each other, and for religious and cultural differences;
- establishing a close liaison between school and home in order to provide a happy, and successful school life for all the children in our care;
- positively developing and maintaining close links with the community;
- encouraging each child to develop creativity through the medium of language, art, music, movement and P. E.
- encouraging a sense of awe and wonder, and providing opportunities for children to reflect upon such things as nature, life and feelings.
To provide the above we endeavour to ensure that staff receive adequate training and that resourcing meets the needs of the curriculum being taught. We liaise closely with the County Curriculum Support Teachers and the Inspectorate.