Welcome to the Home Learning section
Please see government guidance for parents about returning children to school. We are currently working through the guidance for schools and consulting with the local authority and will be in touch with options once a thorough risk assessment and planning exercise had taken place. Please be assured that the safety of children is our primary concern.
View Our Home Learning Videos
Here’s an activity for children in classes 2 and 3, as it is National Numeracy Day!
Please find below, links to virtual maths lessons for each year group:
Hi, here are a couple of links from Sedgefield School Sports Partnership. We work with this partnership to deliver the Fit For Life programme in school and they are publishing videos on their Facebook page to show how these activities can be done at home. There is also a link to their website where a Summer Sports Bingo sheet can be downloaded which has lots of interesting activities on it.
I hope you find these useful.
Home learning letter from Miss Lee 20 4 20
Code Camp World are offering a free subscription to their online software and have created lesson plans for children aged 7-12 to follow along independently.
Parents can access these lesson plans by going to codecampworld.com and entering their details. The resources will then be sent to them immediately.
How was Britain changed by the Romans? Learn about their legacy in this BBC Bitesize KS2 History guide.
A Selection of Science Investigations
Why not have a go at these experiments and write up what you found out:
- Fireworks in a Glass
- Fun With Density
- Lava Lamp
- Rain cloud in a jar
- Lava flow volcanoes
- Picking Up an Ice Cube Science Experiment
- Chocolate Rocks Science Experiment
Key Stage 1 – Class 1
Hi, I hope you are all keeping safe at home:
- Please find below some activities to do with your child/ren over this coming week.
- There is no hard or fast rule as to how much to do as long as you have fun!
- Find, sort and name 2D shapes around your home
- Make patterns using 2D shapes either by collage/using chalk outdoors
- Go on a minibeast hunt in your garden and use tally marks to record your observation
- Adult to write sounds from RWI Set 1 sounds book on different pieces of paper and hide them around your home. Ask your child to find the sounds, say them and sort them into sets according to what letters they are.
- Conduct a food tasting experiment and record your result😊
- Find, sort and name 3D shapes found in your home/garden.
- Make patterns using 3D shapes.
- Experiment which shapes can roll/not roll.
- Read your favourite story and write a book review about it.
- Draw a map of where you live and label it.
- Find, name and label 3D shapes found in your home/garden.
- Count faces/ edges and vertices on each different 3D shape.
- Write a list of instructions on how to look after your chosen pet.
- Read your favourite story and write a book review about it and why you would recommend reading it. Please draw an illustration to go with it.
- Design and make a map of your own Barefoot Island! Carefully draw around your foot. Your island must include houses, a post office, a playground, roads, school doctors surgery and then choose three other features you would like to add. Add a title and a key.
Please note there are FREE Red Write Inc. Phonics lessons on Facebook and YouTube for children to watch at home; three short speed sound lessons every day.
- Set 1 Speed Sounds at 9:30am (Reception)
- Set 2 Speed Sounds at 10:00am (Reception & Year 1)
- Set 3 Speed Sounds at 10:30 am (Year 2)
THESE SHORT VIDEOS WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR 24 HRS
Please stay safe everyone.
Key Stage 2 – Classes 2 & 3
I have published some new tasks and activities on Education City for Key Stage 2 children to look at this week. New work all has ’30/3/20′ in its title. Again, they can be done in any order so children can dip in and out of them using their Education City login details and there is no minimum or maximum amount that needs to be completed.
Thanks and stay safe!
Mr B 🙂
ThinkUKnow is an organisation dedicated to child online safety. They have put together some home learning packs for parents/carers to work through with their children during the school closures. They will publish a new pack every 2 weeks containing fun, 15 minute activities. Visit ThinkuKnow website
David Walliams is releasing an audio story every day for 30 days. Visit the website link for further information
Audible Kids stories is free while schools are closed. Visit the website link
There is no minimum or maximum amount that needs to be completed. Some activities may need some adult input. Any written work can be done in the exercise book that children took home in their ‘school closure’ packs so there shouldn’t be any need for printing although the option is there for some of the activities.
Twinkl have an extensive range of resources covering the national curriculum. These resources are currently available free of charge. Visit the link to register
Every child in school has a login and password to access Times Tables Rock Stars for free during the school closures. Excellent site for multiplication and division fact recall practise. Visit Times Tables Rock Stars website
Work will be set regularly on Education City for all children. Work will be set in year groups and all children have a login and password to access this resource. Visit the Education city website
A list of education companies offering free subscriptions due to school closings
Direct links are below.
Some websites are non-UK so may not be appropriate for all areas.
All you need to do is click the link and follow the instructions on that website to sign-up.
List compiled by KidsactivitiesBlog.com website.
Disclaimer: Durham County Council and Cotherstone Primary School are not responsible for the content of these websites. Parents and carers are advised to check suitability before allowing children access.
- ABCMouse/Adventure Academy
- American Chemistry Society
- Backpack Sciences
- BookCreator App
- Breakout Edu
- CircleTime Fun
- CK-12 Foundation
- Classroom Secrets
- CMU CS Academy
- Coursera for Campus
- Deck. Toys
- Discovery Ed
- Dyslexia Academy
- Education Perfect
- Explain Everything
- Fluency Matters
- Free Math
- Google For Edu
- Hawkes Learning
- Ideas Roadshow
- KET’s PBS Learning Media
- Khan Academy
- Kids Discover Online
- Learning Apps
- Libby App
- Manga High
- Microsoft Education
- Minecraft: Education Edition
- Mystery Science
- Nimbus Capture
- Pear Deck
- PebbleGo By Capstone
- Seterra Geography
- Sight Reading Suite
- Tes Blendspace
- Typing Club
- Voces Digital
- Vroom App
- We Video
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.